Wednesday 23 April 2014

Up All Night

I should be sleeping.  Am I awake because I'm studying for my finals?  No, but I should be.  Is it because I drank too much coffee?  Nope, just had one.  Too much beer? Nope just one as well.  In fact, I only had one beverage tonight and if you have been reading my blog, I am pretty sure you know where I am going with this.  Tonight was the official launch of the collaboration beer- Night Owl Kenyan french pressed coffee stout.  I am certainly buzzed right now but it's from excitement.

I arrived at Phil & Sebastian's Mission location to find people lined up outside the door.  As a gap appeared in the line, I got to read the sign announcing the launch, complete with the name and imagery I proposed.  What a feeling. The artists that were used really nailed it.  Inside it was bustling and everyone seemed to be enjoying the evening.  It was a great opportunity to talk to people from the collaboration, the industry in general and people who are just genuinely interested in beer and the craft beer scene in Alberta.


I got in line to get my very first taste of the production batch that I got to help brew.  Everything was to theme.  Night Owl glassware, decal on the kegerator, even the handmade tap handles.  I am sorry I forgot to get a picture of that, but trust me it looked cool.  The beer itself was also a success.  It was very much a coffee stout.  Lots of bold and delicious coffee flavours but at the same time, undeniably a proper beer.  It's a product that I am proud to have been a part of and the only disappointment is that it's just around for this one project. So if you want to try it, you better get down to Phil & Sebastian's or meet me at Calgary Beerfest.

For the launch, the guys from the Good Old Fridge had a video chronicling the collaboration.  Be sure to give it a peek if you want to know what tonight was about and let them know what you think: @GoodOldFridge

One thing that I was reminded of during the evening's conversations is the kindred spirit of all the collaborators.  A project like this works even though everyone has different interests because they all share one important thing.  Passion.  Whether that passion is for beer or for coffee, that drive to find the ultimate experience and share it with others is what keeps us up at night.
So from this Night Owl,
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment